What Is The Best Material For Patio Covers
[BLOG] Published: 2021-11-21 - Updated: 2023-05-31
What Is The Best Material For Stylish Patio Covers?
A patio cover is a structure that protects or shades your patio from the weather elements. Aside from that, it gives your home an inviting atmosphere. Its durability and style, however, will be determined by the material used.
The patio is an important part of many homes and homeowners' lives. It should be fully integrated into the design and architecture. Some homeowners construct patios as extensions of their homes. Others prefer it as a separate outdoor space.
Do you need a roof to cover an outdoor space such as a deck or patio? Or are you planning to construct a patio in your new home?
There are several factors that you need to consider when determining the best material for your patio cover. These factors include; maintenance, shade provided, and the materials used.
You should gather as much information as possible about the different types of patio covers and the materials that are available. (This Homemade Life, 2021)
To get you started, here are different types of patio covers to consider.
Best Material For Patio Covers
If you're looking for a simple and elegant patio cover, wood patio covers are the best option. Wood has been used as a building material for centuries and is known for its natural colors and patterns. Patios made of wood are still popular all over the world.
If your home or roof is made of wood, wooden patio covers are the best option because they will blend in with the outdoor space and the overall design.
Advantages of Wood Patio Covers
- It will be stress-free to design it with your house because you can paint on it, giving you a wide range of colors. Its natural color and pattern also help you achieve the minimalist look you want for your patio cover. Its lovely exterior, in fact, is adaptable to any home.
- Additionally, the cost of using wood as a patio cover is low. In addition, unlike metal, its wooden sections are simple to install and replace.
- Wood patio covers also provide a high level of strength and durability. They have the ability to withstand high levels of stress and inclement weather.
Disadvantages of Wood Patio Covers
- It will be damaged if it is exposed to moisture or water for an extended period of time. To keep insects and mites at bay, wood must be treated beforehand. To put it another way, it rots, warps, and peels easily.
- To keep its appearance, it must be repainted and polished. Given the foregoing, it is undeniably a high-maintenance material.
- Still, because wood is a natural material, it lacks consistency from one piece of lumber to the next.
ProTip Takeaway: Sunlight, humidity, and salt speed up these disadvantages. Wood is not recommended for homes near the ocean or in humid climates. (Patio Squared, 2021)
Aluminum is the world's most abundant element and seems to have it all. In terms of design and durability, aluminum patio covers have come a long way. It is also one of the most used lightweight materials when it comes to construction.
You will find that most aluminum patio covers are made from natural recycled materials. This means they are good for the environment and eco-friendly.
Advantages of Aluminium Patio Covers
- Aluminum is a cost-effective and long-lasting material. It is weather-resistant to conditions such as heavy rains and winter. Furthermore, because it is a good heat conductor metal, it will not be damaged by extreme heat.
- Additionally, if you want maintenance-free patio cover aluminum is the way to go. Insects or bugs will not be a problem with this product. Because it does not rot, warp, or crack, you do not need to coat it with a lot of chemicals.
- It comes in a variety of sizes, shapes, colors, and styles, in addition to its heavy-duty properties. Furthermore, aluminum patio covers are both strong and light. As a result, it can be used to create a complex and sleek design for your patio.
ProTip Takeaway: Many people desire a product that will serve them well for a long time. Therefore, aluminum patio covers are the best as they require very minimal maintenance. (Bob Morgan, 2017)
Disadvantages of Aluminum Patio Covers
- It can intensify the temperature depending on the weather because it is a good heat conductor. As a result, your comfort in the summer and winter will be compromised. As a result, it's best for temperate climates.
- Despite its toughness, it is susceptible to dents during storms and hurricanes.
- Because aluminum is so heavy, it may be a little more difficult to work with. Aluminum patios are designed to withstand heavy snow and wind loads. Most of the beams will be heavier than Vinyl beams.
ProTip Takeaway: Aluminum patio covers are 60% lighter than metal patio covers. (JW & Lumber, 2020)
Vinyl is known for being the most versatile plastic on the planet. Vinyl can be used to make almost anything, and patio covers are no exception.
Advantages of Vinyl Patio Covers
- One of the best aspects of vinyl is that it is frequently made from recycled plastics. This indicates that it is eco-friendly. It's an excellent choice for a family looking for a green patio cover.
- Minimal upkeep is required. Choose vinyl if you want a patio cover that won't need to be sanded or repainted every few years. All you need to clean it with soap and water, and it will return to its original state. You also don't have to sand or repaint it like you would with wood patio covers.
- Vinyl patio covers are also lightweight and simple to install. They last for a long time and are comparable in terms of durability to aluminum patio covers. Vinyl patio covers are also among the most cost-effective options available. As a result, it is a more cost-effective option than wood or aluminum.
- Vinyl is a good choice for your patio cover because it comes in a variety of colors, styles, and prints. It is resistant to a variety of weather conditions and will not peel or rot. It also won't be destroyed by pests or other mites, so there won't be any need for pre-treatment.
Disadvantages of Vinyl Patio Covers
- When it comes to design and color, it will be a challenge. There are only a few color options available. Vinyl, unlike wood and aluminum, does not have a high-end appearance.
- It doesn't rot or peel; instead, it fades with time. Its surface, unlike wood, cannot be repainted. This makes it difficult to match the color scheme of your home.
- Appearance. Vinyl does not have the same appeal as wood. In fact, some homeowners have complained that it appears to be low-cost. (Nortex Fence, 2020)
Alumawood is a combination of aluminum and wood, as the name suggests. This is indeed another breakthrough in the manufacture of patio covers materials.
Advantages of Alumawood Patio Covers
- Alumawood is lightweight, similar to aluminum, making it easier to transport. It can be attached to an existing section of your house when it comes to construction. You won't need to make any major changes or renovations to your patio if you keep this in mind.
- Another advantage of this product is that it does not peel, crack, or chip. Sealants or treatment aren't necessary because mites aren't attracted to them. It's low-maintenance because it can be cleaned with just a cloth.
- It will also withstand a variety of weather conditions and will not show signs of wear and tear. This also comes in a variety of colors, ranging from natural wood to plain colors. So, if you want to get creative with your patio cover, this could be a good option.
Disadvantages of Alumawood Patio Covers
- Alumawood is said to be more expensive than wood by about 25% upfront.
- Because it is light, you must be cautious when repainting it because it may be damaged.
Before making any final decisions, go through all of the options to see which one best fits your budget, needs, and preferences. Then weigh your top choices, by taking note of each material's strengths and weaknesses. Finally, don't be afraid to explore with the materials and let your imagination run wild.
None of the materials are perfect because they all have flaws. For your desired patio cover, aluminum, wood, vinyl, and alumawood are excellent options. Because most of the time, you can't have both, you have to choose between functionality, aesthetics, and that which will serve you for a long time.
Purchase it regardless of its type or appearance, as long as it allows you to express yourself. The material you choose for your patio cover should allow you to enjoy the essence of outdoor fun and quality time with your family. (Patio Squared, 2021)
Are You Ready To Remodel You Patio Covers With the Best Materials?
Looking to build a Patio cover with the best materials in Houston, Texas? With a little help from the pros at Smart Remodeling LLC, you can maximize your patio space. You will also start enjoying the many benefits of installing a patio cover in Houston, TX.
We offer the most comprehensive selection of outdoor remodeling services in Houston, Texas. We have been creating the perfect patio covers for both residential and commercial customers for many years. We'd love to hear from you if you're interested in installing a patio cover in Houston, Texas. Contact us today!